Last Updated on
We have all been there before, waiting for what seems like an eternity for a drink from our favorite coffee shop. Imagine what you could do with all that time wasted while in line at the coffee shop.
But, how are you going to avoid the coffee shop? Do you spend thousands on a professional espresso machine for your home? Do you brew an entire pot of coffee and end up wasting half of it? Or, do you swear off coffee altogether?
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, it is now possible to enjoy the best quality coffee in your home, without investing thousands of dollars into equipment (or thousands of hours in line waiting for your fix). Enter the Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker.
The Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker produces top quality espresso drinks, and it may just be your key to keeping your sanity and avoiding the long lines at your coffee shop.
Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker Features
Do not let its tiny footprint fool you, the Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker packs a ton of features into its petite frame.
- Speed – One of the best features of the Pixie is its speed. The machine heats quickly, thanks to its Thermoblock technology, and it is ready to use in under 30 seconds every time.
- Fully Automatic operation – Just pop in a capsule, select your cup size, and you have fresh espresso seconds later.
- 19 Bar Pressure Pump – The Pixie achieves enormous pressure for such a small machine, which translates to a fuller, richer tasting cup.
- Size – The machine is incredibly tiny. It comes in at around 10” high by 13” deep and only 5” tall. You can fit this little wonder practically anywhere.
- Adjustable – You can program how long you would like the machine to take when pulling a shot. That way, you are guaranteed a perfect cup, just how you like it, every time.
- Intuitive – The Pixie is full of smart little touches that make the machine a joy to use. The 24oz. reservoir is removable for easy refilling, the drip tray flips up to accommodate larger cups, capsule ejection is simple, and there is a convenient auto shut-off feature to save power. The machine will even let you know when it needs water.
- Style – The Pixie is available in four different trim packages designed to fit the decor of whatever room you place the machine in.
- Quality – Unlike other machines in its price range, the Pixie is lightweight but feels sturdy and well built.
Why Choose the Pixie
There are other machines on the market in this price range, but there are a few things that differentiate this Nespresso espresso machine from its contemporaries.
One of the first things you will notice is that Nespresso machines use Grand Cru capsules as opposed to loose espresso to make drinks. The Nespresso capsules are convenient, especially on busy mornings when you just do not have the time to pull a shot, tamp it down and brew it. The pods not only save you time, but they are practically mess proof as well.
Another big differentiator is the pressure the machine operates at. The pressure in espresso machines is important, and it is what separates a restaurant quality shot of espresso from the one you would pull from a cheap espresso maker. The 19-bar pressure pump provides the Pixie with extremely high-pressure operation despite its diminutive size. For the price, you ca not find a machine that offers this amount of pressure.
What It Is Lacking
The Pixie is a fantastic little machine, but it is not without its flaws.
While users love the Nespresso capsules for their convenience and ease of use, it is worth noting that the Pixie only brews espresso. It is a bit of a bummer that the machine does not have the ability to froth milk. So, if you are looking for a machine that is capable of frothing milk for drinks like cappuccinos or lattes, you will need an add-on. The Nespresso Aeroccino frother is a well-designed, useful add-on, but it does add to the overall price of the machine.The Nespresso Aeroccino comes in three options—Aeroccino3, Aeroccino4 and Aeroccino Plus
You get a slight discount if you purchase both the brewer and milk frother together, the Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker with Aeroccino Plus milk frother.
For heavy espresso drinkers who have several cups a day, it can get a bit expensive. There are several capsule options available from third party manufacturers, but as you would imagine, they do not seem quite serves up an espresso as rich and tasty as what the Nespresso Grand Cru capsules offer.
Some Nespresso owners have complained about issues with the water reservoir leaking and creating a mess. The leaking problem seems like an issue you can avoid with proper cleaning and maintenance, but it is still worth noting.
Overall, the Nespresso Pixie Espresso Maker is almost impossible to beat for the price. It is packed with intuitive features and feels like a quality machine that is built to last, even though it is so tiny and lightweight.
If you are a devout espresso drinker who likes total control over your machine, you may want to look for something a bit higher end. But, for those of us who are just looking for a quality cup of espresso without the hassle of the coffee shop, the Nespresso Pixie is the machine for you.